Since she has been around for awhile, we have come to know her pretty well. There are some things, however, that we didn't know about her, and bet you didn't either! So, as we start off a new era of leadership at Marrakech, here are Heather's Six Things!
1. My grandparents and Neil Diamond’s parents were best of friends. My mother and aunt grew up with him and I have seen him in concert and met him many times. I love a good Neil Diamond concert, I just don’t understand how his song is a “Fenway Park” favorite. He is a "New Yorker" to me!
2. I grew up in Brooklyn, New York in Manhattan Beach – near Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay and Coney Island. I worked at the Brooklyn School for Special Children which is where and when I fell in love with working with people with disabilities. Once in a while my Brooklyn accent still comes out to haunt me.
3. I came to Marrakech 29 years ago to “intern”. I was a Special Education student at SCSU and I was unhappy about a “B” that my professor felt that I earned on an essay/paper. When I argued for my “A” she said she would give me the “A” if I joined a special program that would give me a holistic view of people with disabilities, not just the classroom look. I quickly agreed and discovered that the first part of that program was to intern at an agency that provides residential services to people with disabilities. I found Marrakech, and after my internship ended I applied for a part time weekend job here and was hired on October 10, 1986.
4. I have a rescued racing Greyhound named Eleanor. She never sits, she always either stands up or lies down.
5. I love all movies; horror, silly, fun, thought provoking, etc. Some of my favorites are Silence of the Lambs, Seven Pounds, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Breakfast at Tiffany's and It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
6. My favorite pastime is watching sports and taking pictures. I enjoy watching my kids and the teams they are on playing baseball, basketball, football and lacrosse. I would never have said this 10 years ago, however now I do!
Congratulations, again Heather! Please stay tuned for more "Six Things" blogs coming soon about other members of our Marrakech family!