11/19/14

#GivingTuesday with Denise Canady: Marrakech Is A "Can Do" Agency



Denise Canady was looking for more.  “Before I came to Marrakech, I was a single mom with two kids.  I was working, but it was just a job—it wasn’t a career, it wasn’t satisfying, and I didn’t feel like I was making a difference.”  She shared her concerns with her case manager, who recommended that Denise look into Marrakech’s Academy for Human Services Training (AHST).  “It’s a 16-week course to learn the skills to get an entry-level job in the human services field.  Just hearing the stories about the impact that the instructors had on people’s lives impressed me,” she says.  “I thought how cool it would be to help someone with even a small accomplishment.  I knew that this was the place for me.”

After nearly twenty years of working with Marrakech, Denise now has her own stories to share with new employees, students, and consumers.  As Chief Compliance Officer, she ensures that the agency’s programs meet the rules, regulations, and terms of service from agencies and funding sources. 

Never Say No


“We really are a can-do agency,” says Denise.  “It’s very rare that we say no.  We’re creative, we develop programs and services around each person, and because of that, we’re making a real impact on the people we serve.”  Marrakech has grown significantly over the past two decades, expanding from a few group homes into an innovative agency that serves almost 1,900 people each year. 

That growth has been driven by the organization’s determination, diligence, and flexibility.  “During our last CARF accreditation the surveyor told us what an accomplishment it was for us to be an organization this size and not have any health or safety deficiencies,” Denise says.  “I’m constantly researching the regulations.  I inspect program sites, I review motor vehicle accidents, I give safety tips about driving.  I even report the weather!”

That attention to detail is critical as Connecticut shifts from traditional licensing inspections to quality service reviews, which measure personal outcomes, consumers’ experiences with services, and the provider’s effectiveness in delivering care.  “We learn and we grow,” she says.  Working closely with inspectors, safety committee members, and program staff to make sure that programs are safe and effective, Denise has seen the difference that Marrakech has made for so many people.  “We provide a lot of difference services to help consumers reach their goals, including education, day programming, housing, and respite care.  I’ve watched clients who were living in group homes transition into a more independent life,” she says.  “We really meet people where they’re at.”

Invested in the Person


Marrakech’s commitment to wellness to goes beyond professional regulations.  “I had a tragedy when I was a student at the Academy,” Denise shares.  "My little brother died.  Marrakech supported me through it.”  The organization also helped Denise achieve academic and professional success.  After graduating from the Academy, she was able to take advantage of Marrakech’s partnerships with area universities to complete her bachelor’s degree in human services.  “That’s one of the things I appreciate most about Marrakech.  This organization is interested in your personal and professional growth.  For me, Marrakech has been a part of everything.”

Please consider supporting Marrakech’s vision to help people live and work in their community:

·         A $10 donation covers the cost of supplies and materials for an Academy of Human Services Training (AHST) student.

·         A $25 donation purchase supplies for Marrakech’s Safety Awareness Week.

·         A $27 donation buys a monthly bus pass for a Marrakech consumer who is looking for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment