Making the decision about who will take care of your loved
ones isn't always easy. Before Kim
Bastoni and her daughter, Nicole, often called Coley, came to Marrakech, Kim spent a lot of time
researching different agencies. “I did
my due diligence,” she says. “Since
Marrakech wasn't a known provider in my area, I spoke to
other families and people who were knowledgeable about Marrakech.”
What she learned convinced her that Marrakech was the right
choice for her family. “I think my daughter is more content now than before,”
Kim says. “I’ve seen her mature a
lot. Her caregiver doesn’t treat her
like a disabled person, but treats her like an equal and gives her a lot of
respect. She has freedom and flexibility
to make her own choices. This is a
direct result of Marrakech.”
A Part of the Community
The relationship began when Kim was looking for a home for
Coley. “Initially Marrakech had me
looking in towns that were farther away.
I finally said ‘I can’t drive for hours to see my daughter. I need to have her close to home, where her
connections are and where she grew up.’”
Working together, Kim and the staff at Marrakech were able to find a
house in Nicole’s childhood community.
“It’s so important to treat the agency as a partner,” Kim says. “I believe that parents should be involved
because when we help, our loved one’s experiences are the best they can be.”
In her new home, Coley lives a full, more independent
life. “The staff gets her out into the
community. She loves swimming, so she
goes to the local high school to use the pool.
She loves animals, so she visits all of the area zoos. She attends the summer concerts at the
beach. She volunteers, she goes out to
dinner, she goes shopping,” says Kim.
“The staff made the transition a success. My daughter’s caregiver has been with her for
about a year and I hope she stays with her for the next ten!”
Making a Difference
These experiences are a part of Marrakech’s vision to have
all consumers live and work in their community and be accepted for their
individual qualities and contributions.
“The leaders at Marrakech are passionate about what they do,” Kim
says. “They’re not just doing it because
it’s a job. They’re doing it because
they want to make a difference.” The
broad scope of services, including residential, educational, and employment
programs, demonstrate the organization’s innovative thinking and dedication to
the people it serves. “Marrakech is
looking for holistic solutions,” she says.
“They empower their staff to be creative and find solutions.”
Now that she and Coley are part of the Marrakech family,
what would Kim say to other parents who are searching for an agency for their
own families? “I would tell them that
Marrakech’s heart is in the right place,” she says. “It is a flexible and accommodating
agency. They will do whatever they can
to meet the needs of your loved one. And
you can’t ask for more than that.”
Please consider
supporting Marrakech’s work to help people live full, more independent lives in
their own communities:
·
A $10 donation buys a consumer lunch at a local
restaurant.
·
A $15 donation pays for a consumer’s ticket to
visit a local zoo.
·
A $25 donation buys pots and pans for a consumer
moving into a new home for the first time.

No comments:
Post a Comment