‘Alacrity’ isn’t a word you hear very often, but it’s one of
the values that drew PJ Murray to Marrakech.
“It’s really about being approachable,” he says. “I can’t think of one person in this organization who you couldn’t go to or who wouldn’t help
you. Whether you are staff or consumer,
Marrakech is going to be there for you.”
The organization offers a wide range of programs, including
housing, employment, training, education, and community participation services. Marrakech employs almost 900 people throughout
the state of Connecticut, and remains committed to its mission in good times
and in bad. “The funding in human
services is always a challenge. We’re
constantly struggling with that, and it can cause a real strain on direct care
staff, on supervisors, and on the agency as a whole,” PJ says. “Yet Marrakech is still actively pursuing
growth. We’re not stagnant. We’re constantly coming up with new ideas and
programs.”
Increasing Awareness
As Director of Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Services at
Marrakech, PJ has seen that growth make a direct impact on the people he
supports. “We do terrific things with
many different demographics, but I’m most proud of our ABI program,” he
says. An acquired brain injury is brain
damage that results from events after birth.
Strokes, seizures, and motor vehicle accidents can all cause an acquired
brain injury. “There’s been a tremendous
increase in concussion awareness,” says PJ.
“More people are starting to realize that there are a lot of people out
there who need assistance because they have a brain injury.”
Those injuries can lead to changes in a person’s physical,
emotional, and cognitive functioning.
“Everyone in our program had a different life before their brain injury,”
says PJ. “I had one consumer who was
with us for years. He was a banker
before his brain injury. There was a
total change in his life, in where he was at and what he was doing. But knowing him and his story was very
memorable for me.”
Person-Centered Care
Treating every person with respect and dignity is essential
to providing person-centered care.
Marrakech works hard to incorporate consumers’ strengths, goals, and
interests into program planning. This
approach has helped expand the organization’s services and has given both staff
and consumers opportunities for new and different experiences—some related to
program goals, and some not.
“Every summer I take some of our consumers to Camp Harkness
for a weekend. Most of these individuals
live in New Haven ,
in busy and loud neighborhoods. They don’t
necessarily have the chance to go camping, to experience the outdoors and the
silence at night,” PJ says. “We have a
blast.” He adds, “I’ve been able to take
an active role in this agency. I can’t
imagine going anywhere else. I’ll keep
doing this until I can’t do it anymore.”
Please consider
supporting Marrakech’s commitment to providing person-centered care:
·
A $10 donation to Marrakech pays for First
Aid/CPR training for our staff.
·
A $15.00 donation to Marrakech lets a consumer
buy a Special Olympics Team t-shirt.
·
A $40 donation to Marrakech pays for a consumer
to attend Camp Harkness.

No comments:
Post a Comment